How to lose weight by walking?
First of all let’s talk about running versus walking a little bit. Because running is usually associated with losing weight right? At least from our experience many women (and men) who aim to lose weight tend to resort to running as their main form of cardio. Whether it is running on the treadmill or outdoors.
While running is very beneficial to your heart condition, did you know it has actually a U shaped relation. This means that moderately running has many benefits, but too little running is not so good, and excessive running (like marathons) can be very hard on our body.
That’s why we would like to include walking into the mix. As a great alternative to losing weight. Here are some reasons why and how to lose weight while walking:
- Brisk walking, also known as speed walking, is one of the best ways to burn off stubborn belly fat. It activates the body to dip into its fat reserves around the middle section. Often lower “stubborn” belly fat is a result of too much stress on the body. The excessive amounts of the stress hormone cortisol promotes fat around your belly. Researchers at the University of Virginia in the US concluded that women who walked faster lost more than two inches from their waistlines, compared to half an inch for slow walkers. Brisk walking is 4 times as efficient as slow walking, while significantly reducing the risk of injuries.
- Walking boosts our mood. Walking releases happy hormones in the brain called endorphins. They help to reduce stress. A 30-minute walk is just what you need to release a stressful day. Try to walk to work and or walk the kids to school if they are within a 30 minute walk away.
- Walking protects your bones and reduces the risk of hip fracture. Consistent walking has shown to reduce the risk of hip fractures. Therefore reducing and or slow down osteoporosis (a disease in which bone weakening increases the risk of a broken bone)
- Reduces the risk of a stroke. Research shows that walking at least two hours a week, reduces the risk of a stroke by 30 percent. So encourage you family members to join you.
- Walking is not only good for weight loss it is also good for toning. Walking uses the same muscles as running, but creates less impact on your joints. In addition, the feet consist of many reflex points which correspond to the organs, glands and bones of the body, therefore stimulating your entire body flow.
And last but not least, wouldn’t you agree that walking is the perfect exercise to catch up with a friend and or family member and indulging yourself in nature. Be one with your environment and be grateful for your life.
Happy walking everyone!!!